FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Gay Used to Mean Happy :-)

It still does! 

Being "Gay" is so different today than it was when Gregory and I came out. For me it was towards the end of my undergraduate studies at The University of Illinois at Champaign/Urbana in the middle 60's and for Gregory as a bi-sexual man during his master degree studies at Harvard in the early 70's.

This condolence card was delivered this morning by the condo's custodian/engineer. Inside the printed text reads: "Your life has changed but not the love you two shared. Wishing you hope and strength in the days ahead. "


I am moved and impressed; and even thought unqualified love is and has been all around Gregory and me for a long time, I am still surprised and amazed. 

Having been "Gay" all my life (in looking back,) and coming out during the 60's and 70's; when it was not fashionable or acceptable to do so, when it was illegal in many places, while it was still "the sickness that dare not speak its name," when there were no older role models to be seen; I still find that my memory banks cause me "to look over my shoulder in fear of being discovered."

Why does the famous advertisement "You've come a long way baby?" come to mind?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!