FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, December 18, 2015

Surprises

Received this from the social worker on the Memory Care Unit at Lieberman where Gregory lived for 18 months. When he died, we left most of the items in his room behind for others to enjoy. The plants were shared. The furniture was either given to other needing residents or sold to employees at a greatly discounted price, the money of which went to Lieberman. Some of his "stuff" went to the Life Enrichment Department and the Art Room.

Do you recognize this cactus?  When I put it in my office in October I had no idea there was such a beautiful surprise in store!  I look forward each day to coming into work to see if any more flowers have bloomed.  It is a wonderful reminder of two special people. H



2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite plants at Christmas --Thanksgiving, Easter, Mother's Day-- are jungle cacti. I don't have the old-fashioned Schlumbergera that Mama grew, just the kind that purists insist are 'Thanksgiving Cactus' despite that they pretty much bloom when they get ready depending on light levels. They root so easily and make delightful little gifts.

    Your cactus is planted the way I plant mine: a plastic inner pot in an outer waterproof container. I put pebbles in the bottom of the cache pot in case of over-zealous watering.

    The cookies, oh, the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always called it a Christmas Cactus and figured it would bloom when it felt like it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!