FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, January 10, 2014

Latest Developments

UPDATE 101/10/14: Gregory had another calm day. He did it on his own with out a "sitter" which was important. 

Not sure if you are in tune with the speed of the events or the decisions that I have been making so I hope this doesn't take you too by surprise. I have been able to get Gregory into one of the best Alzheimer's Care Centers in Chicago. Lieberman Center. It is part of the Council for Jewish Elderly. It did it in 4 days, under the best of circumstances this is not an easy feat. 

He will be released from the hospital tomorrow morning and I will be at the Center with a smiling face to welcome him. We will spend the day, if he is OK with it, helping him get settled in his new home. 

The spin I have been giving it is: "We have been rehearsing this for a long time but didn't realize that Opening Night would be so soon. Curtain in 5 minutes and I am not even in my costume."

It is time, however. His doctors, the hospital, social workers, psychologists, family, friends who are professionally knowledgable about dementia, and me (in my heart as well as based on my intellectual research and understanding) agree that it is time.

The center is close to home. Gregory will be well taken care of, safe, able to live in a more comfortable smaller world, and I will be able to continue to be with him under happy conditions without the difficult times. Better for him. Better for me.

I am devastated I am celebrating. I am sad I am joyful. I look forward to my new caregiver role as well as to the beginning of my new life. I miss him until it aches but I am happy for him as well.

Again, please give me some space, please avoid replies, avoid requests. You are helping just by being there and sending us your love! This is a period of healing for me and I know for many of you who love Gregory like I do! We can begin personal conversations again soon, but not yet. Fondly, Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!