FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Difficult Episode

After my therapy session, I went to a neighbrohoood restaurant for a sandwich. Alaksh called me to ask me to come home because G was crying uncontrollably and he couldn't settle him down.

Luckily I was at "Pret" which is just downstairs from the condo and got back in 5 minutes. G thought he had done something terrible, was crying and saying in bits and pieces "You are going to hate me, no wait everyone, they were all there. He was very upset but naturally couldn't tell me what it was really about. 

So I got him to lie down in bed, I lay next to him and assured him: "Everything is OK. Everything is good. Everything is calm. Everything is happy. Everybody loves you." etc etc etc adding everything I could think of that was loving, peaceful, happy, and good. 

Both cats came to be with us and helped G get centered again. Gregory dozed for a while and then lie there thinking while I was working at my computer.

I chatted with Alaksh to see what was going on before the episode to see if we could figure out the triggering event but nothing out of the usual had happened. Often things are not what they seem so without needing any logic behind the cause of the episode, the bottom line is that Gregory was upset, had a tough time calming down, finally did calm down.

Moments come and moments pass. I have learned to get over the in-between. Meanwhile I am wondering about the accuracy of my use of lie, lay or should it have been otherwise?

1 comment:

  1. Yeesh. Words elude me. Maybe a glass of an adult beverage (for you) would temporarily work. I wish there were something I could do to make things better. I wish there were something I could do to make all this less painful. Do you want us to bring Shabbat to you Friday night?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!