FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Flow Free

Through the ordeal of Gregory's psychotic episode and hospital stay, I realized again that no matter how much I love him, the path with Alzheimer's is his and I choose to walk along side him. For a while I became so intertwined with being his caregiver, I felt responsible for everything that happened to him and forgot this separation of path. Now I am walking slightly behind him. Lieberman Center is responsible for his life, his health, his safety, he keep. I am there to help make it a little bit better, to hold his hand, and to figure out my new role as secondary caregiver. The following quote, which I just came across after some 20 years, applies:

FLOW FREE

He gulped on the last few words and broke into sobs again; and, as I did not appear to have it in me to soothe his pain, I did nothing. You reach a point at which you cannot control the event, so you stand aside and let the hurt flow free.

How Long Has This Been Going On? Ethan Mordden. Page 590. 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!