FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Care Conferences

So far there have been three "Care Conferences" and countless small interactions with the Fifth Floor Lieberman staff to discuss particulars for Gregory's care. Predicate this post by saying the I know that "I AM THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN REALLY BEST TAKE CARE OF GREGORY." then add that I also know that while this is true, it doesn't matter and there are many people who are already taking good care of him.

This actually was something I dealt with long before he went into Lieberman and it gave me a lot of grief. Now that we are in the heat of it, I am OK with being part of the Secondary Caregiver Team and giving Lieberman the primary position!

Being aware of the finer details of Gregory's needs has been an interesting exercise. I was amazed at having to think through the "details" of my caregiving. Some things I left out (but since mentioned to the team) like his sitting to pee, his being on a Glaucoma watch (not major but a very very slight increase in the eye pressure,) and his need for prunes to keep regular.

I know that I this may be too personal for some of you, but the need for documenting our continued Alzheimer's experiences with the hope of not only documenting but also the possibility that the words might support someone who needs to hear them, I need to be honest and upfront if not detailed. (I do hold back a little:-)

FYI: Here are the notes so far. I keep a running list of notes to aid my memory and to allow for followup. At the meeting I hand each participant a copy. So far these meetings have included the social worker, social worker supervisor, head nurse, nutritionist, activity director, and volunteer coordinator. Impressed? I was and continue to be!

You do not need to read through all of these details but I wanted to "paint" a picture of the kinds of things I have been having to share with the staff so they can better provide for Gregory.

Saturday:     01/11/14 

Intake meeting. No notes

Monday:     01/14/14

Didn’t eat much for lunch and dinner. Did he receive support?
After dinner ended up in his room behind ½ closed door and peed self. Embarassed.
I changed him.

Needs help and encouragement eating
One item at a time helps
Sometimes uses fork
Can use spoon more easily
Uses fingers to assist 

Who does nails? hair? deodorant? body cream? face cream?
When is shower? 

To bed by midnight up by ten 
Likes to take naps
Used to have coffee & cookies every day at 5
Music (classical)
Art (painting with oil sticks)
Reading out loud
TV Big Bang Theory
Looking at picture books
Likes body massage
Avid swimmer

Move armoire out 
Hang pictures and clock

Cost of Aricept and Namenda by me vs by Lieberman?
Cost of laundry?

Physical therapy? Check out swallowing & biting food?

Raspberry Jam helps with pills

Liquid vitamins and Liquid minerals easiest (I will buy)

Wednesday: 1/22/14

Bed call button broken
Higher toilet support rails?
TV list?
Do you need visitor list?

Liquid Vitamins & Minerals
Glaucoma watch
Prostrate cancer watch
HIV test results?
Tushie rash/fungus medicine
Ear dryness medicine
Wet wipes
Butt pain/spasms at times
Constipation
Pee/Poop records?
Likes dried fruit: prune, apricot
Prune juice needed
Reading glasses

Haircut schedule?
Massage schedule?
Other visit schedules?
Art Therapy/supplies?
Activity schedule?
Kinds of activities?
Volunteer activities?
Shower schedule?
Shower shoes?

Eating better.
More meal support?
Likes unsalted, raw nuts

Bedtime clothes vs Daytime clothes



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!