FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Last Breath

Last Breath
By: Kate Swaffer

Remember when the time comes
To breath in very deep
Take my very last breath
And make it your own

This poem was written by my blogger friend from Australia in her book of poetry Love, Life, Loss: A Roller-Coaster of Poetry. Of all her wonderful poetry, this poem moved me the most when I read it several months before Gregory died. 

The day before he died, after three days of his being in a non-responsive state, I kissed him three times on his open mouth and on the third kiss, he kissed me back.

A short while after he died the next day at 12:04 on Sunday, October 4, 2015, I sat with his beautiful body and told him everything I needed to say. I held his still warm hand. Before leaving, I kissed his open, cold mouth and I breathed as deeply as I could. 

He smelled of the sweet Gregory I have loved for forty years and will love for the rest of my life. He has been, is, and will always be part of me in so many ways.

His ashes sit in his Grandma Carrie's sewing box which lives on my bedroom bookcase and his breath lives within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!