FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, November 13, 2015

A Recent Memory E-Mail

Dear Michael,

I'm not sure you will remember me, BUT... Gary and I were your guests for dinner one wonderful evening years ago. We were Greg's clients.  Strange, but I have been thinking about both of you lately.  So much so that I just searched Greg on my computer. 


Imagine my surprise and sadness when I read that he passed away only weeks ago.  I am so so sorry for your loss. He was such a gentleman, incredibly talented and delightful.  

May all of your beautiful memories be a source of comfort. Please know that we share your grief. We will certainly make a donation on Greg's behalf.

Take care,
Meryl


• • •

Meryl,

Of course I remember you and Gary. Interesting that he was on your mind. We closed the business in 2005, a year or two after he was diagnosed with Young Onset Alzheimer’s Disease. 

We closed the firm so we could travel the world, enjoy our life, and live to the fullest with the diagnosis. We decided we could lie down and die or hunker down and keep going. 

We lived well for ten years even though the disease created for both of us, new challenges and ways for living. In January of 2013, his condition got to the point that I could no longer provide for his needs at home.

He moved into the Liberman Center in Skokie where he received great care. Even though greatly diminished, Gregory continued to enjoy life, be grateful for what he had; was patient, kind, considerate, and compassionate.

I continued to visit him every day and found that as I was able to step into his world, I loved him just as much, if not more, than the first day I met him 40+ years ago. 

Thank you for your kind words and the contribution is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!