FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Grand Mal Seizure

Today at 8:15 am I received a call from the Lieberman Center telling me that Gregory had a seizure and was sent to ER. I quickly got dressed and went to the Skokie Hospital's ER. Luckily the hospital is just across the parking lot from Lieberman and both are only 10 minutes from the condo.

Gregory was resting comfortably. He was not upset or frightened. His usual pattern is to remain calm (as I have learned to do.) He was happy to see me and between various tests I  held his hand, talked about things, and sang to him. He dozed on and off which is usual after a seizure.

The seizure was a Grand Mal which is the larger one when compared to a Petite Mal. The Petite Mal sometimes involves a temporary staring off and often goes unnoticed. The Grand Mal is the one with passing out, convulsing, shaking, eyes rolling back, and the danger of biting one's tongue.

Luckily for Gregory, he was in a sturdy chair at the breakfast table and when he began the seizure the head nurse was in the dining room. The Lieberman staff acted quickly and efficiently and I am grateful for that.

The various tests that Gregory had did not show anything unusual. He will be in the hospital overnight for observation. I now understand that in the later stages of Alzheimer's approximately 25% of people experience seizure activity. The doctor has prescribed a low dose of anti-seizure medication to help make sure this does not happen again.

For now all is well until the next dip in this roller coaster ride. G is doing well. I am doing well and again the word grateful, I am grateful that I am not having to do all this alone like I have done for the last ten years. I have a huge group of people supporting me and Gregory and it feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!