FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Comments Received

I am reposting these comments from Maarteen of South Africa to my post Manifesto For Radical Inclusion 
(opens in new window)

As I replied, "We do not do this for the accolades but receiving comments like yours now and then does a lot to help one believe in self and to continue to feel JOY even though it is carried on the shoulders of SORROW! (See full reply below)
• • •
Dear Michael, your approach on this matter is mature, realistic as well as kind, supportive and loving. To accept and then to live life to the fullest (possible) in the NOW is the ultimate in Living Life Well (with or without dementia, cancer, etc.) I agree with you and believe I am qualified to do so because I live well with Vascular Dementia and have full inclusion in my life and have selected as early as necessary my neurologist, psychologist, psychiatrist, curator and recently the care facility I want to go to when the tme comes when I cannot live on my own any longer. I am still part of family and community and my opinions are respected although I know (although not always realising) that I am changing, loosing skills and abilities but I also know that I will always be fully included by everyone in line with the realities at hand. Thank you for your wisdom and continued inclusion of Gregory in your combined life as a couple. My partner have unfortunately passed away 3years ago but I just know that he would have been as excellent as you are with and for Gregory. May your life be filled with joy and peace. Maarten (South Africa)

Maarten, We do not do this for the accolades but receiving comments like yours now and then does a lot to help one believe in self and to continue to feel JOY even though it is carried on the shoulders of SORROW! Gregory was never able to share how he felt going through his journey, I based myself on my observations and my knowing him well over the last 40 years. So hearing from people like you and Kate Swaffer gives me inside into his knowing that I love him and that all decisions have been with love. based on best practices, and in his best interests. My thoughts are with you and I wish joy and peace to you as well. Fondly, Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!