FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, August 23, 2013

The following is an e-mail to Gregory's new companion. We are excited about his joining us and are hopeful that it will work well. In the beginning, the key to success is lots of communication between me (the employer) and the companion about what to expect as well as how things go when with Gregory (the client.)

A

Enjoyed dinner with you last night. 

In the beginning you and I will be communicating a lot about how to work with Gregory. As I mentioned it is important not to talk or whisper behind his back. I mentioned that in the beginning after each time you are with Gregory, I'll walk you to the elevator "to get the mail" and we can check in about how the day went. You should feel free to ask questions and I will fee free to inform and comment. Also feel free to e-mail me afterwards. 

You can text me when with Gregory and if I do not respond within a reasonable amount of time please follow up with a call. Sometimes I do not hear the text "ding." 

Not knowing how to handle a situation isn't as important as discussing how it might have gone. 

Primary is Gregory's safety followed closely at hand by his happiness/contentedness and all done with respect. I know you understand that but want to mention it again.

Things you can do include:

going for a walk in the neighborhood, on campus, to the lake. You need to keep an eye on how he is holding up, especially in hot weather, as he is not able to monitor that for himself. There are small metal water containers in the refrigeragtor with a belt hook. Please make sure he takes one when you go for a walk (and also that he doesn't put it down accidentally on a bench and leave it behind. Those buggers are expensive.

browsing Barnes and Nobel.

5:00 coffee and cookies are a must. (I'll show you how to use the coffee machine.)

going to Starbucks for his 5:00 coffee.

swimming downstair as LA fitness. (I'll walk you through this.)

working together on a LEGO building or on a jig saw puzzle.

looking through books/magazines (by himself or sharing them with you.)

listening to music. (I'll teach you i-tunes)

sitting on the balcony or going down to the roof top garden.

whatever he wants to do by himself. 

take a nap (you can also!)

watch TV or a DVD

any other ideas you may have (be spontaneous or check with me.)

NOT OUT OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD

You do not have to occupy his every moment and should feel free to work on your own stuff now and then. I'll give you the wifi password so you can get online. Just quiet time together can be wonderful.

Ask now and then "Do you have to use the bathroom?" especially when you are about to go out for a walk.

When you look through books or discuss buildings you probably know by now that he is not too good with language. The ideas and knowledge are all there in his head but he cannot get the words and/or associations out for proper communication. 

One idea is that you can comment on what you see and he can confirm. Be careful asking too many questions because he cannot process or communicate and that may lead to frustration. I find that our best days are ones that are somewhat zen, just being one with our environment and place. I'll comment and tell my stories AS WELL AS his.

I'll let you know when we are ready for a cooking adventure with you and G shopping and preparing dinner. First I'll "walk you around" the kitchen and show you where things are.

Not sure if you'll encounter this but if he becomes concerned about something you might say something like, "We'll talk to Michael about this later." or "I'll check with Michael." or "I am sure it will all work out." I have found that white lies, distraction, and redirection also help.

I am sure there will be more later ðŸ˜„

m

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!