FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, August 9, 2013

Retro Normalcy

Besides keeping Gregory safe and happy, I feel my most important role as life partner and caregiver partner is to maintain, for both Gregory and myself, as much of a sense of normalcy as possible. That means daily routines, life skills, meals, entertainment, interactions, social relationships, sense of home, etc.

But I have come to realize that the "normalcy factor" shifts as quickly and as erratically as Gregory's Alzheimer's shifts. What was normal last week, yesterday, earlier today is not necessarily normal this week, today, now.

This realization adds a new understanding of my role and while it doesn't make it any easier, it does create a validity to the roller coaster of my emotions, difficulties of day to day interactions, and sometimes impossibility of providing for Gregory.

P.S. I have recently become Gregory's Bowel Movement Coach. I'll let you decide what that involves but lets just say that I hope it is only the very, very beginning of Gregory's incontinence. Coaching is much easier than changing the whole ball game of bath rooming.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!