FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, August 26, 2013

A Letter To A Friend

S,

I appreciate your comments. I have never entertained the possibility that we get fewer invites. We always enjoy seeing you and being with you (and your and M's making it easier to see B.) As we discussed gearing down G's yearly birthday July 4th party, I certainly understand "little time and less money and energy." 

Our life has become more narrow. We do enjoy our opera, legitimate theater, musicals, NETFLIX, and the movies. I enjoy cooking and experimenting in the kitchen. Having people in now and then is still fun but getting harder. Being with people becomes a little more difficult partly because of Gregory, partly because of the extra energy I have to spend to monitor and provide for G, tell my stories and his, etc.

I am definitely feeling a little older and a little more tired but not to the point that I am "in trouble." Also, when he has had a difficult day and/or I am feeling down it is hard to be with people and keep up the positive front and the running commentary. Being home and alone and quiet works well. We depend on listening to music a lot to disguise the fact that we no longer can have two sided conversations but also because we enjoy the music. It has a calming effect on both of us.

Current changes, for which I am still trying to figure out how to compensate, is his not knowing how a book works, so no bed time reading; increased difficulty dealing with too many items on his dinner plate; perseveration in some minor annoying behaviors; continued loss of even more common word associations;  needing more of my attention as his "Bowel Coach." I'll not go into detail about the later.

Yesterday I fixed G his five o'clock coffee and cookies, placing both on the counter and showing him. He took the cookies to his desk, ate them. Later when I was preparing dinner I saw that he left the coffee behind on the counter, not even realizing there was no coffee with his coffee and cookies. 

Your offer to "be there" and in effect your "being there" is generous and gracious and in itself makes my life nicer/easier. Right now that is about all you can do and should consider it well received. 

I do like the idea of Gregory and I picking you up and driving downtown to a hot dog and movie show with B. The new companion should make it easier so I can get away and have some time to myself and allow me to run errands without having to bring Gregory along all the time. 

Soon. Love to M.

m

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!