FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

A New Day

How do you continue each day when you walk into the bathroom to find your love sitting on the toilet, seeing if he has to go to the bathroom before you go shopping, with his shorts and underpants still up around his waist? How do you continue each day when he doesn't even realize what is wrong and isn't able to respond to your, "Honey, you might want to lower your pants."

According to our niece, you are not supposed to yell at him. She is definitely right. But how do I continue each day? I am kind, I am supportive, and sometimes I yell.

Next major hurdle. Gregory has lost the process involved in reading at bedtime. I've wondered about the comprehension possibilities but now he doesn't know how a book works. He started just closing the book without placing his book mark when he was finished reading  and couldn't show me where he left off. I started prompting him each night before we started reading and he said he understood. Not successful.

So I started marking his place with a post it and a pencil notation so I could help monitor. I would try to see where he was, take the book before he could close it and mark the place. Every night before we began I would remind him, "Don't just close the book, show me where you stop." After he stopped he could not respond to showing me where.

Most recently, he has been on the same few pages for about a week. Out of the corner of my eye, while I was reading, I saw he had progressed two pages and then turned to the next page, turned back, turned ahead again, then turned back. I do not think he knew what to do next or understand the flow of a book. Last night he read about two paragraphs to my ten pages. He announced he was finished but couldn't point to where he left off. I cried myself to sleep.

Right this minute, after a second, this time successful attempt to go to the bathroom with his pants correctly around his ankles, he struggled for quite a while to fasten his belt. Finally accomplishing that I said in a complimentary tone, "I see you got your belt on OK."

He pointed to his Medic Alert bracelet, "This?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!