FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

If I haven't already given you an idea...

If I haven't already given you an idea of what it is like to live with someone afflicted by Alzheimer's here is yet another story. (I'm being light with this opening. Don't take offense. It cheers me up and makes me feel like I am "joking" with you.)


After dinner I retired to my computer. Gregory was cleaning up, there wasn't much for him to do as I try to keep up with washing and putting things away as I go along in my cooking. He called me in a short while later saying, "Michael, something is wrong." I stopped what I was doing and went into the kitchen. I have learned not to get too excited or too upset until I know for sure that something IS wrong."

He had finished all the cleanup and was wiping down the sinks. One is a regular sink and the other is a smaller prep sink that houses the garbage disposal. Each drain in both of the sinks is covered with a stainless ringed, rubber holed basket that keeps the garbage from going down the regular drain and from going down the garbage disposal drain until you are ready.

Both sinks were fairly clean, the stainless baskets were on the counter to the left of the sinks. He pointed at the garbage disposal drain opening and said, "Something is wrong with this." I asked what he meant. "I don't know, something is wrong with this." I asked him to try to tell me what he thought the problem was as I didn't see anything wrong. He poked his finger at the disposal hole and said, "This." "This." "This. I am used to it up to here." and he placed his hand at sink level.

I took the stainless basket, put it in place over the drain and asked, "Does this look better."

"Yes, I am home now. Thanks."

So my thinking goes like this: Is this what he really meant? Did I help him figure out what was troubling him or did my inquiries only confuse him more? Is it because he did not see the stainless basket? Is it because the hole in the disposal is dark and he couldn't tell what was going on down there? Is it because he forgot what the stainless baskets are used for? Will he remember not to put his finger or hand into the disposal while it is running? Will he throw the baskets in the garbage like he has done previously? Will he know how to clean up after dinner tomorrow or will I step in to help. Should we do more things like this together so I can keep an eye out for problems? etc etc etc

To be continued... (I am sure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!