FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Midnight

Midnight, sleep no where in sight.

Today he sat down to his evening coffee,
Remembering the cookies but forgetting the coffee.

He was upset that the art book he has been looking through was gone,
Until I pointed out that it was next to him on the couch.

For dinner, I asked him to "Get the water."
He stood in front of the open refrigerator door deciding how to proceed.

Eventually he closed the door but then forgot what he was doing,
So he opened the door again to ponder the situation.

After a while he remembered and went to the cabinet to get two glasses.
He opened the refrigerator door and filled the glasses with water.

He stared into the refrigerator looking for the ice cubes.
"Bottom drawer," I suggested. He was able to follow through.

At bedtime a space was empty in his "pocket drawer,"
He didn't know what was supposed to go in the empty space.

When I asked him where his cell phone was,
All he could give me was a blank stare.

"Do you know what a cell phone is?" "Yes."
So I called the number to see what would happen.

Luckily we heard the phone ringing,
But he didn't know how to follow the ringing.

We followed the sound together into the closet in the bedroom,
And there on the floor, under his pants hanging neatly on the rod was his cell phone.

"How did this get there?"
Again a blank stare.

Last night at the restaurant, he couldn't figure out how to  "close" his cheeseburger,
Then he couldn't figure out how to use his knife to cut it in two.

When these situations remind me of what I have to look forward to,
I get numb. I get profoundly sad. I cannot even begin to imagine what I will do next.


Midnight, sleep no where in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!