FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Hats I Wear: Part 1

When we visit the doctor, I wear all of the hats that are needed. Gregory and I have always been open with each other (Gregory now a days as much as his language allows him to be.) While I have told a few white lies or selectively forgotten to inform him of something, we always discuss everything about our situation and I include him in all decisions if only to tell him "I have decided..." 

I keep anecdotal notes and print them out when we go to the doctor. I do most of the talking and let Gregory join in when he attempts to do so. Our doctors treat him with respect and always begin by addressing their questions directly to Gregory knowing I will "chime in" as necessary. When I am having to talk to the doctor about difficult issues (dealing with Gregory Alzheimer's and its progression) I will often appologize to Gregory for talking about him as if he wasn't there. At the point when I need to talk about issues that I do not want Gregory to know about, to help preserve his happy bliss, I will call the doctor ahead of time and discuss the issues privately. 

Gregory continues to accept my support graciously and to trust himself and his care to me. In fact he trusts me unconditionally (may it last forever) with his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!