FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Alert 1

Well, I've done it. "I've fallen and I can't get up." Read on...

As I have aged, I realize that I pass milestones that place me in my parent's generation. Over the years I would hear them talk about various conditions, changes, ways of looking at things and either I would hear them but not listen or I would write it off to "my parents being my parents." Now I understand.

Like my parents, we've moved to a condo and enjoy not having to maintain the house and grounds. We nap. We like to be at home at night and snuggle in. At restaurants we sometimes share entrees. Entertaining takes a toll so we do it easier or do it less. Pills are organized into our "S M T W T F S" boxes, white for day and blue for night. We do not eat too late at night. Pardon me ... but if we do not move our bowels we are aware of it. And so on...

Dealing with Gregory's Alzheimer's diagnosis has presented many other age related problems with which I have had no experience. But I am learning. For example, this week I ordered a Medical Alert System for the condo. If something was to happen to me (heart attack, crack on the head, broken hip) I am not sure that Gregory would be able to deal with the situation. When he is under stress, he temporarily looses even more of his abilities and I can picture myself laying on the floor trying to give him instructions or worse yet, passed out unable to give him instructions.

So now we have a large white box on my bedroom nightstand with its very loud speaker and bring red button (which lights up) marked EMERGENCY! I have a fob that I can wear around my neck that also has a red emergency button and I have a watchband button as well. Both activate the big box in the bedroom. I haven't taken to wearing the remote buttons when I am at home yet but probably need to get into the habit.

When I tested the system, within a minute of pressing the button someone came on the speaker box and asked (to be heard all through the condo unit) "Are you alright?"

I answered, "Yes I am testing the system."

"Am I speaking to Michael?" (On their records because I am listed as the "primary user."

"Yes."

"Is Gregory alright also?"

"Yes."

"We will mark this as a test of the system. Remember when ever you need help call us by pressing your emergency button. Thanks for using Alert 1."

Last night as I was drifting off I was musing about the service. Peace of mind is good.= but they forgot to ask about Mariah, our cat.

2 comments:

  1. It’s good to know that you are enjoying your peace of mind with Alert 1. I just wonder though about the cost you are paying for it. The last time I checked about this kind of service, it’s really quite expensive. I’m using the Just5 cell phone as my PERS and it doesn’t cost me a lot. This is a cell phone with PERS features at the same time and the best deal it offers is that I can only choose to spend $10 for 100 minutes call, which can last as long as 90 days. You can check this out too so you can extend your peace of mind even outside your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, your comments are always appreciated. Yes I have thought about the cost and the piece of mind is costing me a little under $1.00 a day. I have my cell phone with me when I am out of the house but in a real emergency at home or during the night, the press of an EMERGENCY button is easier than having to make a call. If I can't answer, they send help. "I have fallen and I can't get up." I always made fun of that ... but now I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!