FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Whose Story Is It?

I continue to follow and learn from Kate Swaffer, a professional diagnosed with dementia who lives in Australia. Check out her latest blog, "Who's Story is It?" http://kateswaffer.com/2015/05/19/whos-story-is-it/

These are my comments to her:

For one, I am very excited about two seemingly current movements: 1) Being more careful with "language" when describing people with dementia and recognizing that many of the "Inappropriate Behaviors," "Violence," "Acting Out," etc are more indicators of discomfort, fear, frustration, etc of not being able to communicate using the vary language that we so carelessly use! 2) Hearing from more people who have been diagnosed with dementia is so important to get a REAL picture of what is going on in their lives and on how they are and/or should be treated and cared for. I have to admit that as an educated, knowledgeable, caring person I almost didn't see being a care giver from that angle. In my case, Gregory was unable to communicate his needs but I did know him so well after 40+ years of a wonderful relationship I was able to know (for the most part) and meet his needs in a loving, respectful, honorable way. Thanks Kate for being there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!