FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

The Great Outdoors

Gregory has always loved the outdoors. Even through his early and middle stages of Alzheimer's he would go on long, 1-2 hour walks.

I didn't want to curtail his walking since he loved it so much. I always made sure he had his cell phone with him, although I was never sure he would remember to use it in case of emergency. If I got nervous, I would call him to make sure he was OK. He wouldn't be able to tell me where he was but he could describe a building or walk to the nearest corner (at my direction) and tell me the names of the streets. At one point I added ATT's "Family Map" so I could track his travels.

I decided that I would know when it was time to make a change even if it meant waiting until he was brought home by the police. I didn't have to worry for too long about getting a sign as shortly after we returned from a month in Mexico, he got lost in the building while returning the shopping cart from our condo to the lobby. He was gone for too long a time so I called his phone. He answered and told me he was lost. I asked if he was still on the elevator and he said no, he was on the ninth floor. I told him to wait and I'd be right there.

What had happened was that he got on the elevator and took too long to figure out which floor button to push. The doors closed and the automatic voice started instructing, "Select a floor. Select a floor." I am sure it made him even more nervous. Then the elevator went to the ninth floor because someone had called it and the elevator just followed instructions. Gregory got off the elevator and told me later that he walked with the cart from one end of the hall to the other but couldn't figure out where he was or what to do. He didn't think to call me so luckily I called him.

After this experience, I knew and even Gregory acknowledged the fact that he could no longer go out by himself and I joined him for his walks. When I arranged for college kids to be his companion they helped also. Thanks Ben, Ken, and Alaksh!

Gregory still enjoys the great outdoors and Manny takes him out during good weather into one of the two parks at Lieberman Center. Peaceful the Bear also likes to be in the sun!





2 comments:

  1. Michael, I think it's super important for people to be outside in fresh air and open spaces. The other day when I went to visit mom she was really out of it – not able to stand up at all and asleep in her wheelchair. However, when I asked her if she wanted to go outside, she nodded in the affirmative.

    I took her out onto the deck, where I must confess it was a little cool. I had a wrapped in blankets and things to keep her warm. After we been there for about 15 or 20 minutes, I asked her if she wanted to go in. Her eyes were closed and she seemed unconscious, but she said "no, not yet."

    People are aware, even when we think they aren't… And as I say, I think you're so right in offering Gregory the opportunity to be outside. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad mom was about to get out!

      Each floor and each wing at Lieberman has an outside balcony. But due to the hazards of balconies and high places, they are all locked and unoccupied. I have a fantasy to raise enough money to build a structure within a structure so that each balcony can be safe and operational during the appropriate weather and provide a way for residents to be outside! Wouldn't that be nice.

      Delete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!