FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Interesting how this is beginning to show up. In summery, "How we talk about Alzheimer’s and other dementias has a profound effect on how we perceive and deal with the illness.”

Interesting how this is beginning to show up more and more or am I just tuning in? I know you have been talking about this for a while.

I too believe how we talk about Alzheimer’s and other dementias has a profound effect on how we perceive and deal with the illness.

I just reviewed all of the descriptors on my blog (which just passed 50,000 hits with 178 posts) http://mhorvichcares.blogspot.com

I was pleased (and somewhat amazed) to find that most of the negative descriptors were more about how I was dealing or "suffering" through being a caregiver for my life partner of 40+ years Gregory.

I did compare some days to "being in hell," suffering, experiencing Gregory's violence towards me and a few others, feeling out of control, dealing with this "insidious" disease, feeling flummoxed. 

My use of words and attitudes towards Gregory and his dealing with the disease were mostly positive and reflect something I have been saying from the beginning, "Gregory is NOT a VICTIM of Alzheimer's, he is a HERO!"

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!