FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Theater Follow Up

RZ, in response to yesterdays post, wrote:
i think you were reading my mind, i was trying to figure out a way to suggest maybe greg can no longer go to such events, i was very attuned to both him and you and i know you want to give greg every opportunity to participate in life but it seems like its getting to be where the focus is getting smaller, i talked with MS a bit and had planned on saying something. oh michael it is just shit, im so sad and at the same time know you make his world continue to be special. much love to you both RZ

My Reply via e-mail:

Or maybe you were reading my mind:-) I think the unusualness of the swimming pool etc and maybe a "bad" day is what we were experiencing. Besides the "focus" I have never seen Gregory that tired at a performance. In traditional settings he still seems to do well enough but the Pool was definitely too much ... for him and for me to monitor. 

When we go to the Lyric or Goodman it still seems to be OK and I always make sure we sit on the aisle. That seems to help. Also when it is just the two of us and I can give all my attention to him instead of visiting with friends, it also seems to go better for him. 

I have been aware for a while that this "skill" is now in the "comes and goes" phase. What happens is that there is a period of time when he still does well enough that change is not necessary, then I begin to be more supportive, then the skill returns, then it leaves, and finally I decide that it is time to discontinue that particular activity. 

One of my gauges for future theater decisions is also "does it disturb those around us." At the pool I think it did but at other venues on other occasions it doesn't seem to. So at this point I will probably not take Gregory to theater with friends but he and I will continue to go when it is just the two of us. He enjoys the experience and the music so much that it is worth my continued efforts (again as long as it does not disturb those around us.) We are, however, certainly on the path to theatrical extinction. 

Thanks for your feedback, your support, your love. And yes ... IT IS JUST SHIT!

Since you mentioned MS, I copied him so he could be part of the conversation. Thanks to both of you.

Love ya,

m

P.S. While I was at the computer writing this, Gregory finished shaving and was getting dressed. I glanced over and saw that his underpants, undershirt, and sweatshirt were on so far ... and all three were backwards. Now I wish I hadn't intervened and waited instead to see if he would have gotten his sweatpants on backwards also. But that would have been mean :-) In the past, I have told him, "Since you get your clothes on backwards so often, why don't you just do it wrong. Then they'll be on right." He laughs. I smile (and die.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!