FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, November 22, 2013

Associations

Yesterday, since I cannot leave Gregory "home alone," he went to therapy with me. He sits in the lobby reading while I am in therapy for one hour.

When I arrive, Dr. D brings him a glass of tea and they exchange hello's. At the end of the session, Dr. D comes out to say goodbye.

This time Gregory wanted to tell him something. In hind sight, I think Gregory wanted to tell the Doctor that during his wait, he had finished reading his architecture magazine.

Instead it sounded something like this, (with hand motions scooping the horizon,) ... I just ... the ... the ... and ... but ... and ... but ... oh this is hard ... I was able to ... just ... but ... the entire thing.

Dr. D's comment to me later was an interesting one. "Gregory had all the connecting words but no connections." In essence this is Alzheimer's. The ideas and thoughts are still there but the associations between words, meanings, events, experiences, feelings are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!