FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Theater and The Full Disclosure

Yesterday I posted a fantasy about Gregory and me. I thought it would cheer me up to not tell the same old sad story. It did cheer me up for a while thinking about fond memories but the problem with fantasy is that it is NOT reality. And in Alzheimer's case even reality is often NOT real.

Last night we went to the opera "Orpheus and Euridice" by Ricky Ian Gordon which was presented at and in the Eckhart Park Pool. It was given as a free performance by the Chicago Opera Theater (to which we are subscribers) as well as the Chicago Park District and the City of Chicago's Classics in the Parks.

Obviously the swimming pool setting was unusual. And Gregory had a difficult time of it. He kept dozing off and when awake his face was somewhat blank. Possibly he was not registering the action of the opera. I would point his face toward what he should have been watching and I could not tell what his eyes were doing.

I enjoyed the opera but sat there for 70 minutes without an intermission wondering if we would get through it and what would happen if we had to leave since the exit was on the opposite side of where we were sitting. And the action was all around us (including one exciting moment when the dry ice "fog" started filling the entire pool floor area from under our seats. We made it ... but with a mental note to consider future performances and wondering how long we would be able to continue our active theater and opera life.



  
  


FULL DISCLOSURE SECTION

This morning after he took his morning dump (announcing as if it was a miracle) he stood to pull up his pants. No you did not hear me mention the part where one cleans one's ass with toilet paper and then a moist wipe. And one cannot assume that took place.

So I popped up from the computer to check the "pot" and sure enough ... lots of shit but no toilet paper. When I mentioned that he forgot to wipe he did not know what I meant. "You need to clean yourself." Still no comprehension. So I went into my, "Sit back down." Which he did after repeating myself two more times. "Use the paper (pointing.)" Which he did several times and miraculously monitoring how many more wipes he would need.

"OK, how did I do?" he asked.

"OK, I replied," thinking "Sad."

This scenario has repeated itself a number of times recently so I am beginning to think that I need to monitor every time he uses the bathroom. I guess I should be grateful that he recognizes (not always) the urge to visit the bathroom most of the time. Sometimes he will get agitated and his face will tell me something is wrong. I will inquire to no avail and usually then suggest he go to the bathroom and that seems to settle him down. Don't know if in effect he needed to use the bathroom or if the distraction allowed him to forget what was really upsetting him.

I don't even try to figure these things out anymore (except here to process for myself and for your benefit.) A SHITTY story don't you agree :-?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!