FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Interesting

The other night, as I was drifting off to sleep, I realized that my life has no major concerns! "What do you mean by that?" you may ask. Isn't Gregory's Alzheimer's a major concern? Doesn't it cause me grief, sadness, depression, anxiety, frustration, not to speak of hard work 24/7/365?

Well yes, dealing with Alzheimer's is no easy task but when it comes to life, there are no major concerns. No career path to worry about. No college entrance exams. No papers due. No classroom lesson plans, no parent meetings, no report cards. No aging, ill parents to help. Financially we are doing OK. I have my health as does Gregory. I do not have any large projects that I am NOT looking forward to completing. Very few shoulds our oughts. No one is "on our case!"

Besides the 24/7 "caregiving," my life is fairly easy, simple. Monday's obligations: Metra downtown, lunch out, opera dress rehearsal, dinner, TV.

Tuesday's obligations: Walk the neighbor's dog, pick up lunch, take Gregory to Nancy's studio for an afternoon of painting,  photo document his paintings to this point, dinner, TV.

Wednesday's obligations: Easy day, Shannon visits for coffee and cookies plus the usual.

Thursday: Dr. DeMuth for therapy plus the usual.

Friday: Ivanca cleans, Aaron Brady and Isla (the new baby) visit, Christmas Tree lighting ceremonies downtown Evanston.

Free open weekend, maybe the Botanic Garden.

Monday night: dinner downtown and Parsifal Opera night performance.

Through out the week: Besides the 24/7/365 craziness of Alzheimer's there is grocery shopping, keeping up with e-mails and bills, working on getting my second collection of poetry published, straightening around the house, doing the laundry, thinking about Christmas details, getting ready to visit G's family in Battle Creek for Thanksgiving, surfing the internet, keeping up with Facebook.

When I allow myself, some time is spent with worries like our future, Gregory's progression, the ever present health possibilities, getting hit by a bus. But for the most part I do not worry much. So see what I mean! No major concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!