FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Today at Lieberman

Today is Bosses day. Manny, who is so considerate and gentle with Gregory, is also very thoughtful. He brought Gregory and me a miniature potted rose bush with a sign that said, "Happy Bosses Day!"

While covering Gregory with a blanket as he settled down to a nap, I accidentally hit him in the head with Peaceful, his Teddy Bear. It didn't hurt but Gregory appropriately and loudly announced, "Boink!"

When offering him a selection of chocolate from the Godiva box, he told me, "You pick. You have good taste." As usual he enjoyed his chocolate savoring each bit for a long time with his eyes closed.

I have put together a "Memory Book," filled with 8x10 photographs of our parents, family, friends, and pets. He seemed to enjoy seeing all the familiar faces but wasn't sure what he needed to do with the information. I assured him that he just had to enjoy the memories and love. He relaxed.

I made the mistake, which I will not make again, of telling him (as we looked at the photograph of Broadway, our first cat who died some 30 years ago) that Broadway was dead now. A look of utter sorrow took over his face as the tears poured down his cheeks while he muttered, "I didn't know. No one told me. I didn't even know."

I felt so sad for him. It was as if he had found out for the first time that she was dead. I held him close and we rocked for a while until he settled down. From now on when looking at photographs I will not place the person or pet as alive or dead. No need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!