FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

New Role Playing Communication

Previously I have mentioned that a new way of communicating with Gregory is through "Role Playing." With this type of communication/interaction, there is no meaning or information transfer but rather a way of being together in the present here and now.

Previously I mentioned his playing: 1) Italian (with accent but making no sense,) 2) Russian (with accent but making no sense,) 3) "Retard" (with gibberish - excuse me for being politically insensitive but that best describes how he plays the role.) When he begins one of his roles, I will imitate it with him. After each role playing takes place, both Gregory and I usually melt into giggles having had a wonderful time.

Today I was at Lieberman bright and early at 8:30 to help Gregory get through a dentist visit appointment at 9:00. While we were waiting for the dentist to be ready I experienced two new roles. 1) Halloween Monster (with arms extend in front of him and hands clawed with a deep guttural roaring,) and 2) Play Dead.

During the entire teeth cleaning experience Gregory cooperated but yelled and screamed Ouch, ouch, shit, ouch, stop, you're hurting me. I do not think Gregory was in a lot of pain but just didn't like the dentist playing his mouth, pulling on his lips, and scraping his teeth and gums.

"Playing Dead" took place when the dentist withdrew his tools from Gregory's mouth for a moment and Gregory called out, "You killed me," opened his eyes as wide as they could go, lolled his head to the right, tongue hanging loosely from his mouth, eyes closed!

Then we giggled again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!