FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Dental Care at Lieberman

Based on a technique that the dentist used with Gregory yesterday, we have started a new tooth brushing routine. It is important to keep Gregory's teeth and mouth in good condition as a cavity or gum problem for people with dementia can be a major catastrophe including the need to go to a dental surgical location in an ambulance, putting the patient asleep, and filling the cavity.

We tried our Sonicare toothbrush but to no avail as Gregory hated and fought the hight pitched vibration and the intrusion into his mouth. As suggested by the dentist, I purchased a more reasonably priced rotating toothbrush head by Colgate. The head spins and provides multifold bushing with ease and with less vibration.

Wearing rubber gloves, I stuck my thumb into Gregory's mouth - being careful to not be in a position to be bit. I talked through and assured him about the whole experience as it was taking place. With thumb in place, one at a time I gently pulled his lips and cheeks out and away from the teeth as I glided the rotating bush head, gently and slowly against his teeth. First top, then bottom, then repeat inside.

Gregory was not happy, shouted through the mouth full of toothpaste, equipment and fingers ... but did not fight me. I continued to talk through the process with assurances that it was almost over. The turning point came towards the end, when I told Gregory that his mother IS so proud of him that he doesn't have any cavities. He calmed down and smiled.

I let him hold the toothbrush while it was on so he could feel it and helped him to use the brush to brush my teeth. He seemed to enjoy that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!