FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Today Was One of Those Days

My phone ring at 9 o'clock this morning. It was Manny saying he had hurt his foot and was unable to walk. He would not be able to help Gregory today. So I got dressed, had a quick breakfast sandwich, and went to visit Greg knowing I would be helping him with lunch, spending time, and then also helping him with dinner.

In some ways it felt like my day been ruined, in other ways I was excited about spending the entire day with Greg. When I arrived it Lieberman, Greg was already at the table in the dining room with his the food sitting in front of him. I don't think he was confused that Manny wasn't there and he was patiently waiting. He was very happy to see me, we hugged, and I gave him a kiss.

Gregory ate his lunch uneventfully. Table conversation with Batia and Martha was fun and a bit of crazy as usual. We went back to his room where I shaved him and we visited until it was time for his nap. While he was napping I left to run a few errands.

I arrived back from my errands to find Gregory's wing's "living area" filled with people listening to Sharon play the piano. This activity was not taking place in the usual place because two residents were in the final hours/days of their stay at Lieberman so keeping their wing more quiet and peaceful was in order.

Friend Pat had also just arrived and was in with Gregory when she had to leave so the aides could get Gregory up from his nap and into his wheelchair. I saw the aides beginning their task so I stayed out in the hall. Pat and I had visited for a while when the door to Gregory's room opened and one of the aides poked out to say Gregory was having a difficult time.

Both Pat and I went into the room to find Gregory arguing, screaming, swearing, flailing, and kind of being physical with the female aide. He had gripped her by the arm and kept pushing his teddy bear at her saying take this, take this. (Meaning take the teddy bear.) She was struggling with him, saying "I don't want the teddy bear." and finally loosened his grip on  her arm.

I got involved by announcing that I was there, everything was OK now, calm down, calm down. I hugged him. Held him. And struggled physically with him but only a little bit. I told the aides that I could handle it now and they left.

Gregory was still being verbal, shaking all over, and upset. He had me by the arm and each time I carefully pulled myself loose, he would grab me again. Eventually, smothered with kisses, and hugs, and love he did calm down. He was still shaking but by massaging his neck and back he was able to calm down.

Pat and I stayed with him until dinner and by then all difficulties had passed. Pat said goodbye as I took Gregory into the dining room. Dinner was uneventful and by 6:30 I said my goodbyes leaving him parked in front of the main TV with the other residents.

What caused this melt down? Don't know for sure but can surmise. Manny was absent. Gregory's nap had been earlier than usual and/or too long. The aide had put his pants on only half way up in case he peed and his legs felt constrained. Pat's visit ended abruptly when the aides arrived which upset him. Gregory's assigned aide is newer to him and therefore unfamiliar. Maybe he had a bad dream. Maybe the noise from the music out in the hall was confusing. Maybe he was frightened. Maybe he was inadvertently hurt by the lift. Maybe he wasn't in charge of what was going on and it was just the Alzheimer's. Maybe it was just a bad day.


1 comment:

  1. Dear Michael,
    I don't know if I' ve ever read anything about caregiving that describes physical loving care like you do. Gregory is so very fortunate to receive the hugs and kisses you give him in such abundance . I admire you so much and marvel at the wonderful interpersonal, extremely loving relationship you two still have!

    Love,
    B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!