FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

An Unexpected Visit

Sundays at Lieberman. 2:00 entertainment concert in the Community Room. Usually attended by 50 or so residents. Cookies and apple cider served and at the monthly birthday celebration Sunday, chocolate cake.

Today Gregory, Manny and I were joined by Batia (fellow resident) and her daughter Naiomi. We were also joined by two unexpected guests: my mom and dad.

Mom and dad sat quietly at our table and did not interact. But they did take it all in. They looked pleased and wished that they could give Gregory and me a hug and kiss. Their smiles spoke years as they gently rocked their heads to the sounds of the Jewish music being played on the piano and violin. Old familiars: Hava Nagila, Bei Mir Bistu Shein, and selections from "Fiddler on the Roof."

As they looked from me to Gregory and back again, I knew they were giving me their blessing. They told me that I was doing a wonderful, loving job and making Gregory's life not only happy but meaningful. They let me know how much they missed us and loved us. Their tears filled my eyes and then they were gone.

https://soundcloud.com/mhorvich/ba-mere-myst-du-schoen
(Opens in a new window. Click the red arrow in the upper left hand corner to play.)

Dad - RIP March 2005
Mom - RIP March 2010



2 comments:

  1. Between you and my mother, the parallel universe of our relationships past and present is alive and well and hard at work as our guardian angels.I am blessed with those around me who have the gift to feel, identify, embrace, and celebrate those presences. I am so very humbled by your in-sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Michael. Thinking of you with love. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!