FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, December 16, 2013

What a Day I Had Today

Gregory has been almost catatonic. Sometimes that happens when a person with dementia is ill or not feeling well. He doesn't seem to be sick so I am not sure what is happening. He had a good night sleep, was up by 10:00 am. Ate breakfast although confused so I served one course at a time instead of putting the usual tray full of his favorites in front of him.

He spent a little time with the newspaper but then went down for a nap and slept for several hours. Maybe his problem is too much sleep. I'll have to keep an eye on that. Because it was so cold out I (we) didn't want to go out for a walk so it's been a sedentary kind of day.

He sat with me at the kitchen counter while I made Rosemary Cashews, Peanut Butter Cookies, and Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and I kept up the commentary. He sat quietly.

At 5:00 he stared at his mug of coffee and plate of cookies for the longest time. I encouraged but to no avail. I tried to help him lift the coffee mug to his lips but his hand was shaking so badly (history of Familial Tremmors in the Maire family) that he couldn't hold the mug and I didn't trust him to be able to. I transferred the coffee to a starbucks carry cup and he did better.

I put several Christmas cookies on his plate but he again just stared at them as if he didn't know what they were or what to do with them. I tried not to take offense as they were home baked by me and used to be his favorites. I succeeded. I offered him some of his "usual" cookies and he said, "That would be nice." and he proceeded to eat them.

He did take himself to the bathroom but couldn't get settled because the ironing board was set up in there and that made the bathroom a new, strange, foreign place in which he needed my help in lowering his pants and sitting on the pot. He just announced, "Yes!" and I am aware of the "Sweet Smell of Success." :-)

The coffee perked him up a little so I am hopeful that the rest of the evening will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!