FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Note to Companion

Gregory had a difficult night. We were watching TV and he got very upset. He usually likes the program we were watching, so who knows what upset him. He did let me know he was upset through his gestures and actions, not verbally.

I was unable to figure out why so we stopped watching. He sat with me at the kitchen counter while I folded laundry but he continued to be upset. I tried the usual like having him go to the bathroom, offering him some water, holding his hand. He went on trying to verbalize that something is wrong but couldn't really express that he was upset or what upset him or why. I tried to assured him by covering all bases and telling him that:

EVERYTHING IS OK. THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. EVERYBODY IS HAPPY. NOTHING IS WRONG. THERE IS NOTHING TO THINK ABOUT. I LOVE YOU. I AM NOT ANGRY. NOBODY IS ANGRY. EVERYTHING IS ALL RIGHT. This helped a little. 

He sat and touched the folded shirts and pushed them around a little. Almost a random involvement with helping me fold. I offered him a shirt to fold but he didn't know what to do with it.

After the folding we had a bowl of cereal and he seemed better. We went to bed early, I read aloud, and he had a good night sleep. Perhaps the comments in CAPITALS above helped cover what was bothering him. Might be a good technique to use. Who knows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!