FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Caregiving E-Mails

A series of e-mails based on a wedding reception Gregory and I attended.

C
Thanks for taking such good care of Gregory. He appreciated you to me on our way home in the car. We BOTH did a good job taking care of him and not crashing into each other too much. I know you can understand that some times I "crash" into other helpers since I am on 24/7/365 and I am mostly on "auto pilot," not that I do not think you can do a good job because I KNOW YOU CAN! It's just difficult for me to go off-line!
m

• • • • •

Mikey,
I feel some uncertainty assisting Greg as I am unsure how much is too much or too little. I also have issues nuturing. I'm not very good at it.  Greg's comprehension has greatly deteriorated since last I saw him. I worry about you and the enormous task you tackle 24/7. I admire you enormously and love Greg dearly. I feel surprised yet happy to have been acknowledged by him.
Love you lots,
C

• • • • •
C,
You are good at nurturing even though you may feel you are not! You are always very good to Gregory and to me. When it comes to assisting him, there are no clear answers. That is what makes it difficult ... for me as well.  One does what needs to be done! He might be able to guide you a little, but otherwise you just have to make educated guess decisions. It is what I do even with our 37 years of togetherness.

From what I can tell you did wonderfully well this afternoon in keeping an eye on him, getting him some food and drink, etc. Luckily you do not have to do this too often, but at parties etc it is good to know that someone is keeping him safe and happy. That is all we really can do.

Your help allowed me to photograph for C and J's party and not worry that Gregory would get lonely, or fearful, or go hungry, or wander off. You did good!
Love you lots also!
m

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!