FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Actions Mean A Lot

Today Gregory and I went to the Farmer's Market. Evanston's market is large, loud, and busy. The day was hot and humid. I could tell all was taking a toll on Gregory. We (I) decided to stop at the Crepe Stand and have some refreshment. We (I) ordered a savory crepe with tomato, feta, and grill onions topped with a pesto sauce. Delicious.

The crepe was cut in two but served on one plate. We went over to the table area and sat down. I pushed the halves of crepe apart, gave Gregory his napkin, knife and fork. We began.

But Gregory wasn't quite sure how to begin. I prompted, "Use your knife and fork." Didn't help. My first reaction was one of frustration mixed with anger. Couldn't even sit down at the market to have a bite to eat. Life is so complicated. How can I enjoy the day, or Gregory, or my snack when everything is frustrating. Why bother.

Then something else took over. I took the knife away and gently said, "You don't really need the knife. Here let me cut it for you." I did and then showed him that it would be easier to pick up the crepe by scooping the piece with his fork rather then trying to poke it.

After my explanation, he fumbled a little more but did get the process. As I watched my (our) success, my "voice" said to me, "Act with love. Not frustration or anger."

Guess which felt better?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!