FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Reply From My Friend


Dearest Michael,

I use that term of endearment as a former caregiver to a current caregiver. I just read your blog "Between a rock and a hard place"

The rawness of your emotions makes me feel for you so much. I must tell you I "coped" with L's behaviors with the help of antidepressants and Xanax f or anxiety, Also, after I had a stroke in 2010 you may remember he went to a nursing home. There I could still see him and most importantly touch him. Many days I stayed 6-7 hrs but I had a break when I went home.

Before the nursing home, I had a companion here 6 days a week. (We were fortunate to have Long Term Car Insurance which covered that) I guess what I'm trying to say is: Are you getting enough downtime.? Are you getting any therapy- talk or Rx's?

What happened to me when L died was that I felt so relieved for him that he was no longer so frustrated, but also for me even tho I really missed touching him. It took me months to feel comfortable with groups of other people esp. When there was much jocularity. I was beginning to come out of the fog when I found some old love/sexy letters which just got me way down again.

Now I'm volunteering in two places and in two book clubs and I'm doing pretty well. I would love to talk with you whenever you want. Let me know what times are good for you and I'll see when we can connect.

Much love and big hugs,
B
PS My son calls almost every day which helps a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!