FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, January 25, 2013

Further Adventures in the Life

For several years, Gregory has had a book, really a perpetual calendar, of photographs of architecture of the world. Each day he would turn the page to reveal a new famous building from around the world. Often he would call me over to enjoy the photograph with him.

Many of the buildings he knows or we have visited. Considering that his language skills continue to disappear (almost all gone?) it has always been an easy way to "share" an experience by "looking" without the need for "talking."

Just in case you are uncertain about what a perpetual calendar is, imagine a 365 page book, with each page having the name of the month and number of the day but no day names and no years. So you can look at the building for January 25th no matter what the day of the week or the year.

For Christmas I found another book by the same publisher only with famous paintings. I thought this would be a great addition to his library and to his daily routine, especially because he continues to loose skills and therefore has fewer things to do.

Turns out that the arrival of the second book coincided with the beginning of his being unable to remember the routine for using a perpetual calendar. Even when reminded of the day's number, "Today is 25," he has been unable to follow through with finding the page that has January 25 on it.

Every morning he calls me into the living room to go through the steps. Every morning he does not remember what we talked about the day before.

I cannot, first thing in the morning, sleep still in my eyes and on my mind, teach him how to do something that he will never learn how to do. I cannot explain to him what I am feeling without hurting his feelings and I cannot continue to explain the explanation every morning.

So at the risk of making him "feel less" but with the benefit of helping me not be angry or frustrated every morning, I told him, "Every night before we go to bed, I will take over turning the pages so the books will be ready for you in the morning."

He was OK with that (at least on the surface but who knows what he really feels below the surface as he is unable to explain or describe his feelings.)

I wish that I could make these transitions (which I really don't mind making) more smoothly and not after anger, frustration, and unkind words to Gregory. I work at bringing my emoitonal reactions and my intellectual understanding closer but FUCK, I am so tired ... and lonely ... and sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!