FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

An E-mail to a Friend

Dear B,

Laughs are good. Glad you enjoyed the article I sent.

In response to "How are you doing?" I am hanging in there but currently by the fingernails. G continues to fail, doesn't understand most words, so communication is difficult, so most parts of life don't work smoothly if at all. Yet so many things still do work well. It is a crap shoot and Russian Roulette at the same time as well as an opera and a circus and a freak show.

For the most part I am fine but the small explosions add up, the regrouping takes it toll, and the resilience has its cost. Sometimes I feel that I am not too "nice" to him. My tone of voice is not loving, I am impatient, I am short. I don't know when to help or how to help. I hate letting him struggle by himself but sometimes I think that is the best choice. I keep thinking I'll get the hang of it, but suspect that there is no hang! I'll keep trying.

Someday I would like to talk about what it was like towards the end with your husband, if you are up to it. I so understand how you felt towards the end of his Alzheimer's and how much you must miss him. Just to hear him say, "I love you."

While I find myself wishing Gregory dead so he does not have to face the inevitable (is that too strong a statement?) I know I'll be devastated. 

For details on how we are doing check out http://mhorvichcares.blogspot.com 

m

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!