FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Unbelievable

Amazing how the human brain works.

Amazing how the human brain doesn't work.

Gregory was beginning to get his breakfast together. I was awake so I offered to make him oatmeal. He liked the idea. I said, "Get everything else ready for your breakfast then I will make the oatmeal. Besides cereal he makes some kind of protein in the way of tinned fish or sausage, fresh fruit, and hot tea. Pretty healthy huh?

To get to the point, my offer to make him oatmeal (to be his cereal for the day,) totally got him off track. He lost all the details of what to do to make his breakfast. Forgot what to do before I made the cereal. Couldn't think about the protein, couldn't figure out the fresh fruit, put the box of tea back in the cabinet, and then stood there, confused.

I repeated, "Do everything you usually do for breakfast, but I'll do the cereal."

Blank.

I took him over to the cabinet where the pictured sign is posted that shows what he needs to do each day for breakfast.

Blank.

I said, "Tell you what. Forget what I said. Make your own breakfast." I put away all the makings for oatmeal. "I'm sorry I confused you. Make your own breakfast. I'll do oatmeal for both of us on another day."

"OK," he replied, "that would probably be better."

At this point in my writing I just asked him if he was back on track and he answered, "Yea."

Meanwhile I am amazed at what does (or doesn't) go on in his brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!