FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Recurring Theme

If you have been following this BLOG, or the events in Gregory and my life, you may have noticed that there seems to be a recurring theme: Expect Less, Love More.

As the disease continues to play havoc with Gregory's brain (I can actually picture the cells being destroyed one by one and the brain connections being snuffed out one by one) my learning curve and the progress of Gregory's Alzheimer's continues to present new, and different, and unexpected, and unfathomable experiences for me.

My goals are to do the best I can to keep him content, healthy, and safe. A sub-goal is to help his life be meaningful for him, to help him keep his dignity, to help keep him useful so he knows he is needed.

My goals might also include the same for me, especially keeping my mind and body healthy. I have to admit that while I know the importance of these personal goals about me, and while I do work at them, they do suffer.

As the changes continue to take place, sometimes at an accelerated rate, new levels difficulty in accomplishing my goals for him seem to come into play. For example last night there were several instances in which he was unable to follow very simple, one step directions.

They were based on easy to do (at least in my mind,) basic, up until now successful skills for him. One was to put cup cake papers in the cup cake tin. Another was to fill the dinner water glasses again for use at bedtime. A third was to pick up the cat's food for the evening.

Another example just happened as I was writing this BLOG. While he still seems able to us the computer to read his e-mail, see the day's news, and play an online game with Ken ... the computer and its use entails such a complex set of skills that he usually get confused and comes to me for help.

This time he was looking at the TRASH list of his e-mail, not today's e-mails. He was asking for my help but I didn't know how to help. The possibilities of why he needed help were so numerous that I didn't know where to begin. I didn't know how he ended up being in the TRASH. Explaining what was going on would only serve to confuse him. Asking questions to try to figure out how he got himself "cornered" only serves to confuse him more. Asking what he did just before he asked for the help is no longer part of his memory.

Last night was so frustrating that each time  I just asked him to stop helping and I took over. His feelings were hurt but I knew that if I tried to explain what was expected, or how to do what I requested, he would only get more confused and I would get more frustrated (read angry.) So I just gently said, "Never mind honey, I'll do it." But he got his feeling hurt anyway.

It was then that I realized that currently, in many things, my helping him has  become a choice between hurting his feeling less or hurting his feelings more. Let me repeat: hurting his feelings less or hurting his feelings more. Less is the obvious choice but non-the-less it hurts his feelings. So I cried.

Until now I have held the belief that in an effort to help him keep his dignity and sense of usefulness, it was worth the frustration, aggravation, and sometimes anger that I suffered when he could not follow through.

I no longer believe that it is worth my frustration, aggravaiton, and sometimes anger and especially not my emotional and physical health, when he cannot follow through.

So I will need to analyze each request for help more carefully and judge by his chance of success to determine if I even want to ask for help in the first place.

I will need to ask less, expect less, and love more. Him and myself.

He came to me to sooth my upset and said, "You can't always be perfect. Neither can I." So I cried more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!