FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Part Two

Had a wonderful dinner at "The Pine Yard," a Chinese restaurant in our neighborhood that has delicious food. Now a movie and then our "Chocolate Volcanos" with vanilla ice cream.

Gregory was delighted with the red satin heart filled with Godiva Chocolates. If I behave he might let me have one or two.

The card he bought for me is touching. He was very pleased with himself and his selection. The card portrays two adorable rabbits, or are they mice, (G seems to think they are Bunnies) as seen from behind as they sit on a swing bench attached to the branch of a tree. They are arm in arm and leaning their heads together watching a sunset. The swing is next to their home, the same tree with its branch holding the swing. The colors are warm and soft and you can tell that love is in the air. The greeting inside says, "Your marriage is a true inspiration. Happy Anniversary. It is signed Greopry.

With the tear in my eye, can I tell you the card is beautiful, the sentiment is beautiful, my Gregory is beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael,
    I just discovered this blog today through a series of links. I've learned so much. Telling your story about the life you share with Gregory is very generous. Thank you.
    I am especially bolstered by the New York Times story about allowing Alzheimer's sufferers to have what they want. My elderly mother-in-law is a victim to the disease and has been living a shell of a life. In her younger days, a cigarette and Manhattan made her day. I've asked why she couldn't have drink now and again. The response is a version of "Tut-tut. That isn't good for her health!". Neither is the fear and anger she feels. How exasperating.
    You are a brave and loving soul. If only we all had someone so willing to learn, understand and adapt in our lives.
    - Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet,
    Glad you found my BLOG. You comment makes me feel supported and not alone as I hope mine has helped you.

    None of my business but if the Manhattan is only "not good for her health" I say "Let her have one!" But first check again with the doctor to make sure it wouldn't have a bad or unexpected effect because of her medications. I don't mean to sound pessimistic but we all die of something!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!