FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Reality Test

Most often I try to anticipate Gregory's needs, especially as his language and communication abilities continue to disintegrate. Most often I am able to figure out what he wants to say or tell me. As I have written before, its those times that I cannot anticipate or guess that make for difficult interactions and therefore are emotionally heavy situations for both Gregory and me.

Another area of difficulty is Gregory's ability to make connections and associations. I will ask him to get me a new kitchen towel and he will not recognize word "towel." This has been happening more and more as his grasp of the meaning of any particular word continues to fail.

For example, as he is trying to ask me about where his gloves are, he will wiggle his hands but when I ask, "Are you looking for your gloves?" he will reply, "No." Even though it is his gloves he is looking for. Is it the disconnect of the word "No" or the word "Gloves." Sometimes that is clear to me and other times it is not.

Most difficult of all is when I feel that I have to "wait it out" and not help at all. Sometimes I feel the need to do a reality test to see exactly how much Gregory is going to be able to do. Last night I asked him, as I usually do, to set the table for dinner. He got the place mats and napkins done but forgot the silverware. He moved on to fill the water glasses.

He usually stands in front of the open refrigerator thinking about "what's missing." Then he will realize and shut the refrigerator, go to the cabinet, get out two glasses, and put them on the counter. Sometimes I will just say the word "glasses" and he will click in and proceed.

This time he stood in front of the open refrigerator for a long time. He looked over at where the empty glasses usually sit while waiting to be filled but it didn't help this time. Then he closed the refrigerator and opened the freezer. He pulled out the ice drawer and scooped out a handful of ice, turned towards the usual "where the glasses are waiting place" and stood, confused, hands cold with ice, not knowing what to do.

He looked at me several times and I soothingly replied, "I'm just being patient." Sometimes I will say, "I am just giving you space." This is to let him know that I am not upset or angry that he is confused.

Next he returned the ice to the drawer, closed it, and closed the freezer. He turned to me and said, "OK I give." I went to the cabinet hand handed him two glasses. He successfully took over from there. But what an ordeal. And watching the look on his face as he becomes increasingly confused (sometimes embarrassed, sometimes angry, sometimes just confused) is very painful for me.

Reality checks are no fun for me to suffer quietly and probably not easy for Gregory, but they are necessary so I can keep tabs on what he can do and what he cannot do with greater or lesser frequency. When it looks like the skill is really gone, I will not ask him to help with the skill or I will give a lot more support up front. For example, I am about to start handing him two glasses every time I ask him to get our dinner waters. Soon I'll have to put out the place mats, napkins, and silverware and hope he can figure out where it goes. Time will AND DOES tell!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like each day is becoming more challenging, isn't it Michael?

    I continue to hold such respect and admiration for both you and Gregory. You have your system worked out, together. And even though it is a changing scene, constantly, you are both hanging in as best you can.

    You should be very proud.

    xoxo
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!