FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, February 25, 2011

It Becomes Easier as it Becomes Harder

I may have written about this before but I think it is worth my working through again.

It seems that the more Alzheimer's takes away from Gregory the easier it is for me to cope. I become more aware that he is unable to deal with certain situations: language is usually a problem now so I get used to it, he is confused more often than not so confusion is expected, disruptions in his routine always affect his ability to function so I mobilize and help him through the change, when he begins to get frustrated his level of frustration escalates and causes his abilities to decline so I do not give him tasks that would frustrate him, he is able to help less so I do more.

Gregory continues to be happy, content, and to enjoy his life. The difficulties come when I can't cope, get frustrated or angry, loose my temper, get short with him, forget that he is not the person he used to be when we met thirty five years ago. And since I am more aware of his inabilities, I expect less, ask less, do more and feel better. Sounds strange doesn't it?

1 comment:

  1. my dear brother....u r the most caring person I know. m so proud of u. Your sharing is so strong, it brings me right into your life as u know it. Love u

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!