FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Living Alone With Dementia

Besides my own writing, you may have noticed that I have begun to include the writing of others on this blog. The "Others" are people with dementia and the writing is from what I call the "REAL" side of it, the side of the person who is living with dementia.

Early on, a buffer protected Gregory from really realizing his situation, his decline and we were never really able to discuss what it was like from his point of view.

I certainly worked at holding his point of view in all (most) of my actions if only because of our love, our 40+ years together, my observations, my research and studies on Dementia/ Alzheimer's.

But until I met Kate Swaffer, I never really understood what it must have been like for Gregory in so many ways.

This article shared by Kate Swaffer, written by Dr. Judy Galvin, goes one step further. It is from the point of view of a person with dementia who lives alone, a scenario I never even began to consider.

Yet another "gift" of Alzheimer's to me as I continue to grow in patience, compassion, and understanding not only towards Gregory but all of humanity. That may sound self-serving and grand, but so is Alzheimer's!

http://kateswaffer.com/2015/09/27/living-alone-with-dementia-by-dr-judy-galvin-dam2015-day-27/comment-page-1/#comment-60637

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!