FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Start Your Engines Part II

Yesterday morning I work up before Gregory and lie in bed just being quiet. He started stirring and I offered, "Do you want to get up or go back to sleep?"

He offered about ten minutes of confused beginning utterances, hemming, hawing, etc none of which was coherent to me or most likely to him.

Finally I offered, "Get up or sleep?" He pushed back the covers and got up. Success!

Next I went with him into the bathroom, directed him to the switch that turns on the heat and he knew what to do. Success!

I pointed to the toilet, and he knew what to do. No details needed here. Success!

Next I opened the medicine cabinet and took out his shaver box (contains shaver, brush, cord.) He knew how to plug it in without too much study and shaved. Success!

When he was finished, he opened the bathroom door. I pointed to the underwear and sweats on the bench just outside the door. He knew what to do. Success!

He had a little trouble getting the sweat shirt on correctly (even though it takes the same understanding that getting his undershirt on does.) I held back, he tried several times, "Oh shit!" "Oh shit!" "Oh shit!" finally getting it on correctly. Success!

So what we have here is a lot of successes in a failing kind of way!

P.S. Last night as we were drifting off to sleep, Gregory asked, "Do you know where you are going?"

"I am not sure what you mean," I questioned.

Tapping my head with his finger he replied, "In here, in here."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!