FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Friday, May 4, 2012

When Will It End?


I hate my life right about now. I am living with tears. I am lonely. I am confused. I am frightened. I am confused. Do I feel better now that I have gotten that out? No.

I have decided to take over making his breakfast completely every morning for a while (maybe forever.) I nicely told him that he would have to stay in bed until I was ready to help, that unfortunately this is where we are with our life as of now, and that it means more loss of independence for him.


Seeing that he was upset, I told him that I need to talk about it with him and that I know it mades him feel bad and that eventually I  will be able to avoid discussing it. I just don't feel comfortable making unilateral decisions without telling him about it. I am sure that one day soon I will be able to do that as well.


He couldn't find the muffins in the refrigerator this morning, didn't know how to use the butter spray, forgot to warm the muffin up in the microwave and then wondered why it was cold. Instead of just sitting at his place at the counter, he was trying (again) to perch himself on the edge of the stool in a very awkward position in front of the drawers with no knee room because that is where he put down his muffin.


Until now he has been making his own breakfast but only at 70-80% success since returning from Mexico. Then I have to intervene or explain with explanations that are not understood. Taking over completely will be easier ... at least for me.


I will also begin to lay out his clothes every day because he not only cannot do this easily but also cannot judge what to wear based on the weather. Yesterday it was 90 out and he said he wanted a light shirt. I put a short sleeved polo out for him. As we were about to leave, he had on a long sleeve shirt and I questioned him about the short sleeve one. He said this was the one he wanted. I come to find out that he had on both shirts, thinking the Polo was an undershirt, however, when I named the "undershirt" he is not able to make an association with the item.



Until now he has been getting dressed on his own but only at 70-80% success. Then I have to intervene, or explain with explanations that are not understood. Taking over completely will be easier ... at least for me.

I have been handing him his night time sleepwear and laying out his morning sweats. Easier for him and for me.


I have decided to take over fully for breakfast and getting dressed because these skills come and go and get scrambled so frequently that it must be proof that he can no longer handle them. I get frustrated with giving instructions that cannot be followed or do no get followed or get followed incorrectly. 


In my life, I am used to telling or asking someone for something and then letting go knowing it will be done. Not so anymore with Gregory. So metaphorically, like the nurse in the old people's home, I will hand him his meds and stand there while he puts them in his mouth and swallows. Hope I do not have to start checking under his tongue to make sure he isn't spitting them out later.


Did I mention that last night at bedtime he was trying to read and again forgot that he needed his glasses.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!