FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Reassurance as always...


In some ways the kind of reassurance I use with my partner who has Alzheimer's/Dementia is the same kind I have always used. I am loyal and supportive of him and his needs. I am respectful and kind. Not a day goes by that we do not profess our love for each other and count our blessings (spiritual ones ... not religious.) We hold hands in the movies, at the opera, and during a play or musical. My hand is on his knee when we watch TV and often his on top of mine. When he apologizes for a difficult time I make sure I tell him "the difficulties do not matter, I love you." When he reaffirms his love for me, I graciously accept. When necessary I assure him that I always have and always will love him and be here for him. Sometimes I have to quietly regroup and regain my emotional balance before I can do these things, but I (and we) always arrive at acknowledging our love for each other no matter what this roller coaster of an insidious disease may bring. I think that the repetition over a day and over a week and over a life time is what makes this work for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!