FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Getting Dressed Incident

We now have two companions who spend time with Gregory and that does make it easier for me to have some time to myself and to get away to meetings etc. Companions present their own problems and more work with scheduling, training, solving minor issues via text or phone, having a stranger in your home, trusting someone else to do the job that in your heart you feel only you can do but learning to "get over it."

Living with him continues to be difficult as I continue to try to learn how (after 35 years, can you imagine?)

Yesterday we were getting ready to go to a party and I thought I solved his "Getting Dressed Dilemma" problem by picking out what he would wear and laying it out on the bed (in the order one would put the clothes on.) My fatal mistake was not taking the blue jeans and shirt he was wearing from him when he took them off.

He got "Shirt Confused" and "Pants Frustrated." After taking his current clothes off, he put his new shirt and his black jeans on. Tried to put his blue jeans on over the black ones several times. (I just waited.) Then he took off his shirt. Tried the blue/black combination again bear chested but that didn't help. I finally had to help walk him through the "Clothing Sequence" and then we entered the "Black Sox and Shoes Zone."

I won't go into further detail but we finally did get dressed, left for the party, at which he and I had a great time. This morning he did his own "Thin Thin" (our version of toast) and is now reading the New York Times (a new "Technology" since his computer skills are all but gone," waiting while I have a cup of coffee, do e-mail and begin our "Sunday Oatmeal Ritual."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!