FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Hi. Me again. Sometimes I hate burdening my BLOG with CRAZY EVENTS but since I have no one to talk to, you are it BLOG. So thanks for listening.

GOOD:
Just went to Whole Foods for one thing, Buttermilk for making "Helen's Refrigerator Bran Muffins." Came home with two bottles of Sangria to try, lunch meat, some chocolate for Gregory, and steak, corn, cucumbers, and fresh mozzarella for tomorrow's dinner. I.E. came home with everything but the Buttermilk. We both got a good laugh out of this.

BAD:
I made Oatmeal Raisin Walnut cookies today. Six dozen cookies now piled high and sitting on the cooling rack on the kitchen counter. I decided to start making cookies for Gregory because his five o'clock coffee and cookies is so important to him and I felt that home made cookies would be a nice addition. My emotions aside, this is what took place.

"Time for your coffee and some home made cookies."

"Oh is it?"

"Yes."

Gregory proceeded, in his ritualistic way, to open the cookie shelf and to begin selecting some to have with his coffee. I stopped him and pointed out, again, the home made oatmeal cookies that were on the counter waiting for him. Next, without getting any coffee, he took his previously selected cookies, sat down on the purple chair, and ate them.

I mentioned that he had not yet gotten his coffee and that I made (pointing) Oatmeal Raisin cookies for him to have with his coffee. I left the room. He poured his coffee, added milk, warmed it in the microwave. Took his coffee to his desk and sat down to drink it. Still no Home Made Oatmeal Raisin Walnut Cookies. My emotions aside.

UGLY:
It was all I could do to overcome my "Agita" and continue in my move towards doing EVERYTHING for him, ASSUMING NOTHING, and PRETENDING that everything is OK when it is NOT!

I took a breath and in my calmest possible voice asked him to come over to the counter. I showed him the cookies and asked if he knew what they were? "Yes." And what are they called? "Them." (A statement, not a question.) Yes, cookies. And what are they for? "To eat." Yes, so take a few to have with your coffee. "OK." Do it now. SILENCE, INERTIA. Take some now. "OK." I stood there to make sure and he took three cookies and went over to sit down with his coffee. Then I went back to my computer. My emotions aside.

He just came into the bedroom and said, "They are my favorite." I thanked him ... but what can I say. Where am I supposed to put my emotions, my inability to fathom what he is going through, my fear at what I have to do next, my not wanting to treat him like an invalid, the ability to treat him like a satient human being? I am not ready to do absolutely everything for him to avoid the risk of his and/or my frustration (my anger!) Sometimes our interactions are so convoluted that I am not sure what has happened.

He just came into the computer room again and said, "Thanks for out there." You are welcome.

So where do I go? What do I do? How do I get through this? Guess what - There are no answers and even the questions don't work anymore. Getting through it means surviving until the next interaction and sometimes over night. My emotions are not aside. They are slowly killing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!