FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What is a Life? A Countdown?

This poem was a result of last night's dream.

What is a Life Countdown?

4 - Order, Structure, Routine, Standards?
3 - Spontaneity, Playfulness, Randomness?
2 - Sorrow, Joy?
1 - Love?
0 - Beginning, Middle, and End!

The realization/perspective I gained from the dream is that when I try to box Gregory in (and sometimes I have to) he gets "into trouble." He gets frustrated. I get frustrated, angry, short (not all the time.)

If I was to do away with all (or as much of as possible) of the order, structure, routine, standards of our life ... perhaps Gregory would have an easier time of getting through his Alzheimer's/Dementia (or perhaps not.)

The dichotomy is that I need, as do most of us: Order, Structure, Routine, Standards. For the purpose of helping Gregory function as well as he can and to insure his safety and to reinforce his contentment ...  he too needs these to a varying degree.

But if I could redefine "the box" or let him "out of the box" more often and just function in "free flow" think of how nice his world would be (and maybe mine?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!