FOR GREGORY. He was not a VICTIM of ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, he was a HERO!

PLEASE NOTE: Even though this blog is now dormant there are many useful, insightful posts. Scroll back from the end or forward from the beginning. Also, check out my writer's blog. Periodically I will add posts here if they provide additional information about living well with Dementia / Alzheimer's Disease.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

It Was Almost Like Normal

Manny and Gregory had returned from the Sunday entertainment and I found them in Gregory's room. This is the first time in a long time that I was unable to attend the 3:00 program.

Gregory and I hugged. Manny and I caught up on some "housekeeping" like my returning newly laundered pillow cases, checking to make sure there were enough snacks in the fridge, getting feedback on how Gregory was doing with his tush rash, helping Manny with a few pointers on using his new iPhone (which was a gift from Gregory and me.)

Then Manny "disappeared into the hall" and Gregory and I had some alone time. I told Gregory I loved him, that he makes me happy, and that I like being with him.

I leaned into his left shoulder and with some effort helped him lift his right arm and placed his hand on my head. I could feel him slightly stroking my hair and my tears and a few sobs arrived without warning.

Even though I had set it up, it was wonderful being caressed and touched by the person I love most in the world. I am not sure how much Gregory was aware of the situation.

We just sat quietly like this and then at Gregory's gesture, we moved away from each other. I again said, "I love you."

He replied, "I love you."

I asked, "How much do you love me?"

He replied, "Very much."

I said, "I love you very much too."

"Yes," was his response.

"Thank you." I said.

He answered, "You are welcome."

It was almost like a normal communication. In fact it was a normal communication. One learns not to look too deeply in understanding, mindfulness, or intent. One just enjoys the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. You are appreciated! If you do not have a sign-in on any of the accounts below ... use ANONYMOUS. All comments are moderated and will appear as appropriate. Thanks. Please, keep commenting!